ST-HYACINTHE, QC, April 1, 2022 /CNW/ – Recognizing that farmers are essential players in decreasing greenhouse emissions, the Government of Canada is investing to help them in the adoption of cleanse systems and sustainable agricultural techniques.
At their take a look at at Ferme Roflamme Inc. in Saint-Hyacinthe, the Honourable Marie-Claude Bibeau, Minister of Agriculture and Agri-Meals, the Honourable Steven Guilbeault, Minister of Ecosystem and Local weather Modify, and the Honourable Pascale St-Onge, Minister of Sport and Minister accountable for the Financial Development Agency of Canada for the Locations of Quebec, emphasized the Government of Canada’s proposed investments to aid Quebec farmers build climate modify resilience and reduce greenhouse gasoline emissions.
Minister Bibeau highlighted the federal partnership with a few organizations for the delivery of funding under the On-Farm Weather Action Fund to farmers in Quebec.
- L’Union des producteurs agricoles (UPA), in collaboration with Producteurs de grains du Québec: up to $19 million to help Quebec farmers to adopt helpful administration procedures for go over cropping and nitrogen management.
- Canadian Forage and Grassland Association: up to $10 million to aid Quebec farmers as perfectly as farmers throughout British Columbia, Alberta, and Saskatchewan to prepare and put into action rotational grazing procedures.
- ECOCERT Canada: up to $4.5 million to enable certified natural farmers in Quebec and throughout Canada to adopt advantageous management practices for deal with cropping and nitrogen administration.
These administrators will distribute the funding subsequent a get in touch with for unique programs. Activities supported through the Fund are envisioned to minimize GHG emissions by up to 2 million tonnes by 2024, though increasing the health and resiliency of farmers’ soil.
In addition, the Government of Canada will make investments $1.9 million to aid nine assignments throughout Quebec, which include Ferme Roflamme, under the to start with phase of the Agricultural Clean up Technology (ACT) Method. This initiative encourages the growth and adoption of thoroughly clean systems and can help farmers enhance their extended-term competitiveness. This funding is centered on 3 precedence regions: environmentally friendly power and energy effectiveness precision agriculture and the bioeconomy.
As part of the Emissions Reduction Program launched previously this week, the Govt of Canada has fully commited above $1 billion in new funding to accelerate the agriculture sector’s development on decreasing emissions and remaining a world wide chief in sustainable agriculture.
These new steps intention to reverse the sector’s emissions considering that 2005 and minimize net emissions in the foreseeable future. These initiatives really should characterize a reduction of up to 13 Mt, which is a lower from 72 Mt in 2005.
Canada is specifically very well positioned to sustainably feed a escalating global population. This will be achieved by investing in investigation and innovation, expanding the range of farmers who are adopting beneficial administration practices and facilitating their access to clean up systems.
“Climate improve is getting a substantial influence on agricultural producers and they are fully commited to executing what it will take to mitigate its results. Our federal government is creating substantial investments in a wide variety of agri-environmental applications to assistance them come to be far more resilient and cut down their environmental footprint. By supporting them financially in adopting ideal practices and getting tools that lowers emissions, we are providing ourselves the signifies to arrive at our objectives by 2030.”
– The Honourable Marie-Claude Bibeau, Minister of Agriculture and Agri-Food
“Farmers are on the entrance traces of weather modify, and we are making file investments to make certain a actually sustainable potential. The new sustainable procedures and cleanse engineering applications we are rolling out will give Quebec farmers the strengthen they need to have to make their functions far more aggressive and much more electricity-successful, while reducing polluting emissions. Our govt has always experienced the backs of Quebec farmers and we will carry on to collaborate to travel fantastic environmental sustainability in the sector.”
– The Honourable Steven Guilbeault, Minister of Ecosystem and Local weather Adjust
“Our authorities thinks that a potent financial system and a balanced ecosystem go hand in hand. As a result of investments in local tasks, this sort of as the new grain dryer at Ferme Roflamme, we assistance farmers produce and put into action accountable farming practices to tackle greenhouse gasoline emissions. Using speedy motion from local climate transform is crucial to promote the economy of right now and tomorrow, and set the foundation for a internet-zero emissions financial system by 2050.”
– The Honourable Pascale St-Onge, Minister of Sport and Minister dependable for the Financial Progress Agency of Canada for the Areas of Quebec
“The financial investment introduced today confirms the strategic role of agriculture in the combat towards climate modify. It is also in line with the greater assistance that Quebec and Canadian farmers have been requesting for several yrs to ensure the competitiveness of farm organizations and to fulfill the increasingly substantial anticipations of modern society.”
– Martin Caron, President, l’Union des producteurs agricoles
“Canadian Forage and Grassland Affiliation has prolonged advocated for recognition of Canadian agriculture’s chance to supply character-based mostly methods to weather transform. The aims of the OFCAF software mirror the results of targeted scientific and extension get the job done that the affiliation has undertaken in excess of the previous five a long time. This expense by Agriculture and Agri-Food items Canada will empower forage producers across the state to prioritize and deploy weather-wise management methods to improve farm resilience and get the job done on behalf of all Canadians to stem the impacts of climate adjust. Operating throughout multiple sectors and ecoregions, our firm thinks that collaborative strategies for program supply will provide the finest impression and produce extensive-lasting added benefits.”
– Chris Martin, Chair of the Board of Administrators, Canadian Forage and Grassland Association
“Organic farms throughout the state are fully commited to a technique of production that promotes soil health and dependable stewardship of the planet’s resources. ECOCERT Canada is happy that the Federal government of Canada is recognizing these endeavours by offering the organic sector with financial aid as a result of the On-Farm Action Local weather Fund. ECOCERT Canada seems to be forward to assisting the farms that will participate in the application in bettering their carbon footprint, through teaching and introduction to new agronomic procedures regarded by the system.”
– Sébastien Houle, Director Typical, ECOCERT Canada
- Produced on March 29, 2022, the 2030 Emissions Reduction System: Canada’s Future Measures to Cleanse Air and a Strong Financial state contains included federal financial investment of more than $1 billion in the agriculture sector to accelerate the transition to a very low carbon financial state.
- The On-Farm Local weather Action Fund (OFCAF) is aspect of the Govt of Canada’s Agricultural Local weather Options (ACS) plan to aid farmers tackle climate modify, and falls under the $4-billion Pure Weather Remedies Fund managed by Normal Resources Canada, Surroundings and Local weather Modify Canada, and Agriculture and Agri-Meals Canada.
- Present-day Agricultural Cleanse Technology (ACT) plan announcement is component of the very first wave of authorized projects less than this Software, which will support farmers strengthen their extensive-term competitiveness even though cutting emissions.
- In addition to the OFCAF and the ACT application, Agriculture and Agri-Foodstuff Canada released the $185-million ACS – Residing Labs stream in 2021 to aid carbon sequestration and GHG emission reduction.
- Projects and remaining funding are subject to negotiation of a contribution agreement.
- Canada has joined around 120 nations in committing to web-zero emissions by 2050, like all other G7 nations (United Kingdom, United States, Germany, Italy, France, and Japan).
Related Products and solutions
Information Release: Govt of Canada announces up to $182.7 million to husband or wife companies to help farmers decrease emissions and improve resiliency to local climate improve
On-Farm Weather Motion Fund World-wide-web Instrument for Farmers
2030 Emissions Reduction Prepare
Agricultural Local weather Solutions
Greenhouse gases and agriculture
Agricultural Clear Know-how Application: Exploration and Innovation Stream
Agricultural Cleanse Technological innovation Application: Adoption Stream
A Wholesome Natural environment and a Healthy Economic system
Resource Agriculture and Agri-Food stuff Canada
For further details: Marianne Dandurand, Push Secretary, Office environment of the Minister of Agriculture and Agri-Foodstuff, [email protected], 343-541-9229 Media Relations, Agriculture and Agri-Meals Canada, Ottawa, Ontario, 1-866-345-7972, [email protected]