Agriculture, Surroundings and Rural Affairs Minister, Edwin Poots MLA and Financial state Minister Gordon Lyons MLA, have visited Granville EcoPark Ltd in Dungannon to see the company’s most current developments with regard to environmentally friendly technological innovation.
Minister Poots and Minister Lyons are pictured with Chief Technological Officer of Granville EcoPark Ltd and BioCapital Ltd, Dr David McKee.
All through a tour of the internet site, the Ministers ended up proven the company’s anaerobic digestion (Ad) plant and read about their options to support the Agri-Food sector, even though contributing to the Round Financial state as perfectly as their programs to meet Net Zero targets.
Minister Poots said: “It has been good to check out a corporation like Granville EcoPark and see the function that they are accomplishing in turning squander merchandise into a clear and renewable electrical power resource.”
The Minister ongoing: “Projects this kind of as the EcoPark truly exhibit the chances that can occur as a result of ground breaking strategies to current challenges. This is a terrific illustration of Inexperienced Growth in motion, as it is not only supporting us to transfer from a superior to a reduced emissions modern society, it is also increasing people’s good quality of lifetime by a cleaner surroundings, as well as building green work opportunities for the community local community.
“My Section is dedicated to tackling the difficulties bordering local weather improve and to the ongoing security and improvement of the atmosphere and is foremost on the enhancement of the NI Executive’s draft Inexperienced Growth System. It is crucial that we all take action with regards to weather transform and “green growth” and it is encouraging that so many enterprises in the non-public sector, like Granville EcoPark, are by now wondering environmentally friendly, accomplishing items in different ways and in a significantly less unsafe way.”
Economic system Minister Gordon Lyons reported: “Granville EcoPark presents a wonderful option to harness Anaerobic Digestion technology to deal with issues inside of the Agri-Foods sector, and at the very same time support provide the decarbonisation of heat, through injection of biomethane into the present fuel network, as envisaged in the Electrical power Tactic – Route to Web Zero. It is an remarkable example of how this style of technology can guidance a Round Financial state.
‘’Significant do the job has been taken forward by the Utility Regulator and the fuel industry to think about the regulatory routine for biomethane injection. In addition, my Office in co-procedure with the Utility Regulator, has commissioned exploration into the biomethane resource in Northern Ireland and in relation to the economics of biomethane. This will enable tell how the production of biomethane and potential current market preparations can help supply the decarbonisation of heat in certain, and assistance renewable electric power technology, and the decarbonisation of transport.”
The Ministers have been also revealed the Granville “Smart Loop System” which uses sustainable biogas from its Advert plant to transportation renewable electrical power to shopper websites. The firm also plans to be the initially Northern Eire Ad plant to have a relationship to the gas network and will soon produce a professional Carbon Dioxide product as an additional sustainability providing for purchasers in the food items and drink sector.
Chief Specialized Officer of Granville EcoPark Ltd and BioCapital Ltd, Dr David McKee, said: “It was a privilege to demonstrate the Ministers around our facility and showcase how we have optimised our processes to get the most out of the offered means as we do our section to aid decarbonise the Northern Eire financial system.
“Our renewable fuel is at present transported to customer services using state of the art gas driven lorries and Granville is on track to be the very first Anaerobic Digestion facility to link to the area organic gasoline community. At the time grid injection is offered, regionally made, renewable gases will be obtainable to regional people and enable speed up Northern Ireland’s journey in the direction of net zero carbon.
“Anaerobic digestion has a multitude of environmental rewards as it aids decarbonise agri-foodstuff, squander, transportation, and production with the extra gain of getting saleable by-goods.
“At present our Granville facility makes sufficient gasoline to source Dungannon town, so we look forward to becoming capable to introduce that renewable product or service directly into the local gasoline network later on this yr.”
Notes to editors:
- DAERA is primary on the growth of the Executive’s Eco-friendly Development Approach, which will deliver on the determination in New Decade, New Technique to deal with local climate change head on with a technique to tackle the quick and for a longer period time period impacts of weather change. It is a multi-decade strategy which will established out the long-term eyesight, ambition and targets and a reliable framework for tackling the local weather crisis in the ideal way.
- The Government approved the draft strategy for session in advance of the UN Climate Adjust Meeting of the Get-togethers (COP26) previous 12 months. The session concluded in December 2021, a 12 week EQIA consultation on the Tactic has also now concluded.
- Do the job to amend the Green Expansion Tactic continues, getting into consideration evaluation of the feedback and remarks from the consultations. The Method will be cross-reducing and will be delivered through a sequence of Local climate Motion Options, which will set out the steps to meet up with sector-precise greenhouse gasoline emission targets to deliver a cleaner surroundings rich in biodiversity delivering a far more productive use of sources in just a circular economic system and eco-friendly jobs.
- Follow DAERA on Twitter and Facebook.
- All media queries really should be directed to the DAERA Press Place of work at: [email protected] isles.
- The Government Data Services operates an out of hours services for media enquiries only involving 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and community holiday seasons. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
Share this site